It’s finally here. We’ve had an unusually cool summer, but the temperatures are climbing. And with the climb comes the hefty electric bills. Here are some great tips to save you money when you can’t do with your air conditioning.
1. Check your ducts: Make sure ducts in the attic are properly insulated and will help the cold air circulate all throughout the house.
2. Close off vents: Try closing vents in rooms you do not frequent. This will push more air to the rooms you do use.
3. Lighting: Turn off as many lights as you can and let in the natural sunlight.
4. Go cooler during the day: Turn the AC down for the daytime but at night time nudge your thermostat up a little as your body will naturally cool down while you sleep.
5. Fans: While fans won’t save the day, they can certainly help circulate the cool air and keep you from relying solely on your AC unit.
6. Furniture check: Check and make sure none of your furniture is obstructing the air conditioning vents. If you have a large piece of furniture directly under a vent, it blocks the air from circulating throughout the room.
7. 10 Rule: Try to keep your thermostat set between 75 and 85 degrees. 75 for when you have the triple digit days. 78 is the optimal setting for every day use. Lowering your temperature even 5 degrees can use 40% more energy. 85 for when you are away from your home.
8. Call for help: If you find your unit cannot cool your home between 75 and 85 degrees, it’s time to call in the pros. There is a reason you are having to spend so much money to cool your home. Our professional technicians can determine the source of your issue and find a remedy that will have your unit working at peek performance.
Your friends at Spencer Air Conditioning and Heating are here and ready to answer your questions and keep your family comfortably cool this summer. Give us a call today at (972) 446- COOL (2665) or find out more at spencerairconditioning.com.