Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that invades thousands of homes every year, and many homeowners don’t even know they have this common indoor air pollutant. This gas is completely colorless and odorless. Carbon Monoxide detectors are always the first safeguard and should be install in every home, but knowing the common areas where carbon monoxide can hide will give you extra peace of mind that your family is safe. The top three places where most carbon monoxide leaks occur are diesel generators, vehicle and lawn equipment, and gas appliances and heaters. Generators are very useful during outages, but can be deadly inside the home. Generators need to be professionally installed and tested to insure that diesel fumes are not seeping into the home. The garage is the number one place for carbon monoxide exposure. Homes with attached garages are especially at risk. While it is common knowledge to not warm up the car in the garage with the door closed, lawn mowers and other lawn equipment is often overlooked as equally as dangerous. Proper ventilation is required when working with this type of equipment. A fireplace must have proper ventilation to remove the toxins out of your home. Chimney maintenance with clean flues is necessary because fireplaces, while beautiful and warming, do not burn clean air. Gas ranges, dryers, and water heaters are also known for carbon monoxide emission. They are designed to burn clean but over time the appliances can become worn down and release toxins if not properly serviced or replaced. Spencer Air Conditioning and Heating invites you to call us for all of your HVAC needs. Reach us today at (972) 446- COOL (2665) or by logging on to spencerairconditioning.com to find out how we can serve you. Our longevity speaks for our quality; we’ve been in business since 1960.