The holidays are almost here and for most of us, that means it’s time to pack up the car, load up the kids, and hit the road. While you’re away enjoying food and football, you may be throwing away money back at home. See our tips below to help you save some money on your electric bill this holiday season.
- 1. Set your thermostat for 50 degrees. At this temperature your home is warm enough to keep appliances or pipes from freezing, but cool enough to make a money-saving difference. For every degree you turn down the thermostat, you will save 2-3% on your bill. Turning your thermostat down from 72 to 50, can save you between 44-66%.
- 2. Switch your water heater to the vacation setting. By placing your water heater on the lowest setting, but not turning it off, you can save money and keep water from freezing in the lines and tank.
- 3. Watch out for phantom appliances. Even when your appliances are turned off they are still using energy. Unplugging major appliances like televisions and small electronics like cell phone chargers can save on energy and eliminate fire hazards.
- 4. Use automatic timers on your lights to keep your home safe from burglars while saving you money. The set lights will come on for a finite amount of time giving your home the appearance of being occupied.
- 5. Schedule a performance check on your heating system before you leave for vacation to make sure your system is running at peak performance and peak efficiency.
Using these simple tips can give you a little extra jingle in your pocket this holiday season. Call Spencer Air Conditioning and Heating at (972) 446-COOL (2665) for all your HVAC system needs.