The temperatures outside are hovering around freezing and it would seem that the winter weather is staying in North Texas for a while longer. Residents of Dallas-Fort Worth should see warmer temperatures by the weekend, but for now it’s time to make sure your heating system will keep you out of the cold. Proper care can keep your unit running efficiently this winter and help you avoid costly repairs. If you are worried that your system is not performing at its best or needs repairs, you can start by reading our blog from last week on ways to troubleshoot your HVAC system.
If your air conditioning system is running great, but you want to save money during these cold snaps, we have a few common-sense, money-saving tips that you can use during the remaining cold days and for future winters!
• Bundle up! You can keep the thermostat a few degrees cooler by wearing warmer clothes inside. We suggest your favorite sweatshirt, slippers, and a cozy blanket.
• Many doors and windows go unused during the winter such as patio doors and spare room windows, so consider covering them in plastic to prevent drafts. Window kits are sold at your local hardware store or home improvement stores for about $5 a window.
• Turn the heat down when no one is home. Turning it down to 60-65 while you’re away saves money and means you don’t heat an empty house.
• After using the oven, leave the door open a crack to let heat warm your kitchen and the surrounding rooms.
• Use a space heater in the rooms you use most often. This will take the nip out of the air without heating the rest of your home.
• Pick up some caulk or silicone and fill any cracks in doors and windows. Heat escapes quickly through cracks and the small ones you see can add up!
• Close vents and doors to rooms not used regularly such as spare rooms and patios; doing so can easily cut 100-200 square feet off your energy footprint and bill.
• Invest in an attic tent. An attic tent will save you money year-round to help keep your warm or cool air from escaping through the attic.
Our trained service professionals are ready to help your family through this winter. Call Spencer Air Conditioning and Heating today at (972) 446- COOL (2665) or find out more about us at spencerairconditioning.com.