Spencer Air Conditioning | Heating Technician is a “Guardian Angel”

Liz Thiele says she has been a loyal customer of Spencer Air Conditioning & Heating for many years, and when she called them to send a technician to check on a loud rattle in one of her home’s air conditioning units, she had no idea that Jamal Watson, the technician who arrived, was a guardian angel in disguise.

“We had our roof replaced, and a week later, a hail storm required it to be replaced again,” Liz explained.  “After the repair, the three of us seemed to always be sick with unexplained stomach issues and sore throats.  We just figured we were passing the same bug back and forth between us.”  She went on to explain that while Jamal was working on the air conditioner, he noticed that vents in two units were not connected, and that air that should be vented outside was actually remaining inside the home.

“Like most people, we never got around to installing carbon monoxide detectors in our home, and while Jamal was there, his meter kept detecting the presence of carbon monoxide.  He suggested we install the detectors, which we allowed him to do,” Liz said.  “While he was installing the detector in our bedroom, it kept going off.  Apparently, the disconnected vents were allowing carbon monoxide to fill our attic and our home.  I credit Jamal with saving our lives.”   Liz said that had it not been for a large doggy door installed in their home, which provided some ventilation, the family might not be alive today.

“That doggy door and an astute air conditioning repair man who saw a problem and told us about it could be the only reasons we are alive today,” Liz stated.  She said they contacted the roofers who, at first didn’t believe them, until she put Jamal on the phone with them.

“The roofers were at our house within ten minutes to repair the problem,” Liz said.  “To say they were apologetic is an understatement.”

Carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that can cause illness and death, is a byproduct of burning fuel.  Each year, more than 400 Americans die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, while more than 20,000 victims visit emergency rooms—of those, 4,000 are hospitalized, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  Symptoms of carbon monoxide poison are often ignored, as they are similar to flu symptoms.  They can include headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.  The best method for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning is to have your heating and air conditioning system inspected regularly, and install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.

Spencer AC & Heating is proud to have expert technicians like Jamal Watson working for us.  For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning prevention, or about Spencer AC & Heating, visit us online and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.